Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Internship #11

A summary of last week at my work...Well, it was awesome. I love working with those kids more and more. I'm really gonna miss them. Each of them has one individual thing that he or she needs to work on, and that makes it entertaining.

Besides, they're kids, and I love them. I love their personalities and that they like me so much. I taught them some Spanish vocabulary. So far, we've go ntroduction phrases, colors, family words, and numbers.

And they're really excited about the Spanish lessons, too. I helped them all get done with their work faster, especially their math. This was kind of crazy, especially in short days, because they were all too anxious to go home. Anyway, they kept asking me for help, like, five at once, even yelling at me, and while I was helping one, like three more were asking me for help at the same time.

It really drove me crazy, but I managed to get it together well. It was a pretty busy week, in which I got an even deeper hang of the activities in the classroom. I even got to walk them to P.E, and while they were waiting for their teacher, I was in charge of keeping them under control. Eh, I'll tell you, that was not pretty.

Keeping them all in order when they're being chaotic and loud isn't my thing. But so far, I haven't had the need to make them turn any cards. There's a poster in the classroom. It has the names of the seventeen kids written on it.

Each kid has three cards under their name; green, yellow, and orange. At the beginning of the day, all names usually have green cards. Most of them still keep them throughout the day, which means they've been good, and some of them even get star cards, which means they've been on their best behavior. However, if some of them misbehave, their cards gradually change from green to orange.

I haven't had to make any kid go turn their card, and I'm glad for it. I had a lot of fun this week, basically, and I look forward for this week being interesting, too.


Also, here are some of the questions I'll be asking my mentor this week:

"Where did you grow up?"

"When did you decide you wanted to be a teacher? What made you want to be one?"

"Could you describe how you use what you currently learn in your classes in your first grade class?"

"What's it like for you to teach and at the same time be taught?" [I kind of already know how that feels]

No comments:

Post a Comment